With the weather warming and the sun shining, our taste buds are crying out for bright tastes and fresh, seasonal ingredients, and this recipe totally fits the bill. Pinkish, delicate and wonderfully versatile, the salmon fillet is the perfect choice to mark the end of our culinary hibernation and embrace the promise of summer.
There’s nothing quite like the flavour of salmon, and it would seem that the world agrees, with an increasing demand for the “king of fishes” from kitchens as far afield as Asia.
The angling season in Scotland is well underway so now is the ideal time to take advantage of the fresh catch and learn how to make grilled salmon with The Blue Door Bistro’s own recipe. Ditch the hollandaise, put off poaching, and sample a surprising and charismatic recipe for grilled salmon with pineapple salsa and crushed new potato.
The elegant taste of the grilled salmon is complemented by the sweet heat of the pineapple and chilli in the salsa and is cut through with a citrus freshness and the aroma of coriander.
Try this dish with us at The Montague’s Blue Door Bistro, or recreate this fresh, seasonal recipe at home.
Grilled Salmon with Pineapple Salsa and Crushed New Potato
Makes five portions
1kg Scottish salmon fillet
500ml rapeseed oil
50g sea salt
200 diced fresh pineapple
1 finely chopped red chilli pepper
1 finely chopped red onion
1 bunch chopped fresh coriander
1 lime, zest and juice
1 lemon, zest and juice
500g new potatoes
50g unsalted butter
1 bunch spring onions
1 bunch baby watercress
1. Prepare the salmon into 5 x 180g Supremes, rub with rapeseed oil and sea salt.
2. Cook the potatoes and then crush with a fork, adding the spring onion and butter. Season and set aside.
3. Make the salsa by mixing the pineapple, red onion, chilli pepper, rapeseed oil, lemon, lime and coriander.
4. Cook the salmon on a hot char grill or BBQ for two minutes on both sides, keeping it pink in the middle.
5. Assemble the dish by placing the salmon on top of the crushed potato and placing the salsa around. Finish with baby watercress.
Header image © Red Carnation
The post How to Make Grilled Salmon with Pineapple Salsa and Crushed New Potato appeared first on The Red Carnation Hotel Collection Blog.